Monday, April 1, 2013

Zackenberg - among "100 places to remember before they disappear"


During easter my parents were given the book "100 places to remember before they disappear". As place number 17 is listed Zackenberg in Northeast Greenland - the place I work for more than three months a year and consider my second home. I noticed this already in 2009 when the book came out. It is illustrated by a photo (#4 at the URL linked to above) by the renowned and prize winning Canadian nature photographer Paul Nicklen. I was quite surprised as Paul Nicklen to my knowledge never had visited Zackenberg. Not during the summer months at least as we keep good records on that. I know he has been to Sand Island (Sandøen) photographing walrus about 30km from Zackenberg and I saw him briefly in the airport at Constable Point.

I remembered seeing the image recently in the Getty Image library where it clearly says it is from Ellesmere Island, Nunavut, Canada...

I am not blaming Nicklen. As a photographer you have very limited control on the use of your photos. The image reminds me of a similar one I made in ZACKENBERG in 2009 ;) ...

Nikon D300, 70-200/2.8, TC-17EII, 340mm, f/7.1, 1/2500 s, ISO 400 

The lighting is not that great and it is a bit fuzzy (but so is Nicklen's - I was using the 70-200/2.8 with the TC-17EII a combination I cannot recommend). I have taken hundreds of photos of musk oxen since but have not had them in this exact same defensive formation again. Perhaps I will get a chance this season where I am supposed to spend 3.5 month amongst them and we will actually try to catch 14 to provide them with GPS collars.

Here is a panorama with a stich of images taken with Nikon D700 and a 50/1.4