Saturday, May 7, 2011

Seals beware!



Last year I brought a photo shooting sledge to Greenland, but I did not manage to get quite as close to the seals as I had hoped for. This year I will certainly aim for seal photos on the ice again and I will use a number of approaches. I will try with the sledge and white camouflage suit for sure. I have borrowed a semi-wetsuit (for another project). Wearing this, I will try to play seal; imitating the vigilant behavior of the seals on the ice while slowly bellying up on them. Vigilance will probably come very naturally with scouting around for polar bears at short intervals... and I will certainly carry a riffle! Lastly I will explore the use of a remotely controlled camera. I have wanted to do this for years and have now finally put together such a system.