Saturday, April 17, 2010

Photo shooting sledge

At Ittorqqortoormiit we intend to try to photograph seals on the sea ice. Therefore I set out to construct photo shooting sledges. Today I gave up on finding white baby plastic skis on sale. It is prabably too late in the season. Instead I have split one of the old Swedish wooden army skis (model Vita Blixten) I had in the basement. At first I thought of a traditional shooting sledge a la this photo but I imagine it could be problematic with a big black round hole looking through the white sheet. Rather, I have been considering a solution where the camera and lens is covered in white cloth and turned perpendicular to the direction of advance (with a ball head) only to be turned at the last moment before exposure. One should then be camouflaged in a white suit as well of course.